This B&B is no longer open, but the same team have gone on to open a very popular Café in the Bastille area. See http://veganparis.com/2012/08/02/gentle-gourmet-cafe/
Over the last year and a half, a new establishment has emerged as one of the best places to eat vegan in Paris. But you can not only eat there… you can sleep there too if you like! It’s The Gentle Gourmet, a B&B and restaurant situated in an art deco building in the 16th arrondissement between the Arc de Triomphe and the Bois de Boulogne.
I have been longing to go there ever since I first heard about it, and even more so after reading the ecstatic review from our friends over at VG-Zone. Gentle Gourmet has two rooms for rent, which are vegan to even the smallest detail such as the stuffing of the pillows.
In addition they offer a unique dining experience where you share a communal table with local vegans and travelers and share pleasant conversation. Frankly most of my conversation would be along the lines of “Oh my god can you believe this amazing food.” – the menu changes monthly but here is a sample from their site.
* Savory zucchini and pecan madeleines , with miniature cups of 7-onions soup
* Salad of watercress, walnuts, beets, endive, green apple, dried cranberries
* Crushed nut-breaded Seitan filets with a dark walnut sauce with wild mushrooms accompanied by a pumpkin gratin with garlic and Italian parsley
* Poached figs in white wine syrup with vegan hazelnut ice cream accompanied by caramel and hazelnut-thin cookies.
Their dinner prices are:
- Saturdays: €50 4-course gourmet meal
- Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays: €30 3-course “bistro” meal.
That price includes your wine, so if you are not a drinker, you’ll get a discount. They strive to have 100% organic food.
If you can’t make dinner, then why not try brunch? It’s €25 and frankly it is difficult for me to paste in their description knowing that I am several thousand miles away from being able to enjoy it each Sunday, but here it is.
* French toast with pineapple and pecan with agave syrup
* Porridge with cardamom and amaranth, and compote of dried plums and pears
* Vegan sweet potato hash with soy sausage
* Muffins (corn, spicy apple, chocolate) and banana breads, whole-grain breads cereals, vegan croissant
* Fresh fruits and compotes
* Nut Butters – soy, almond, walnut and peanut
* Smoothies and freshly pressed fruit juices
* Spicy Vegan Hot Chocolate, coffee and teas
Their site has information in both French and English about their rooms, their vegan cooking courses, picnic lunches, tours and the other amazing contributions they are making to vegan life in Paris.
I can’t wait to stay there on my next trip back to Paris!
The Gentle Gourmet B&B
21, rue Duret
Metro: Argentine (line 1)
33(0)1 45 00 46 55